Saturday, November 15, 2008

This is a portion of a letter written from a missionary after loosing his wife and three of his children in the cause for Christ, alone and with failing health he wrote this letter to a freind:

No language can express what he has been and is to me. never does He leave me; constantly does he cheer me with His love. He who once wept at the grave of lazarus often now weeps in and with me. he who once on earth rejoiced in the Spirit and said, "Even so Father: for it seemed good in your sight" (Matt 11:26), daily, hourly, rejoices in the Spirit with me, and says so still. His own rest, His own peace, His own joy He gives me. He kisses me with the kisses of His love, which are better than wine. often times I wonder if it is possible for her, who is taken, to have more joy in Hiis presence than he has given me. If He has taken her to heaven, He has also brought heaven heere to me, for he is heaven. there is no night, no gloom, in His presence. In His presence there is "fullness of joy" (Psalms 16:11).
At times He does suffer me to realize all that was, but is not now. at times I can almost hear again the sweet voice of my gracie, feel the presence of little Samuel's head on my bosom. And Noel and His mother-how sweet the recollection, yet how it makes the heart ache!....And then, he who will soon come and wwipe away every tear, comes and takes away all bitterness from them...and fills my heart with deep, true, unutterable gladness. I have not to seek Him now; He never leaves me. At night He smoothes my pillow; in the morning He wakes my heart to his love. "I will be with thee all day long: thou shalt not be alone, nor lonely"

Praise God for those who went before us. Praise God that we are the posterity of such men as this who followed Jesus all the way to the cross. Let us stand in the momentum of these men and women and take the batton that has been handed us in this last leg of history and "run the race with endurance". It is written Jesus set "His face for Jerusalem", where he was to fulfil that for which he came, laying down His life for His own. let us set our faces for the cross and let nothing stop us.

Jesus is heaven.

No comments: